The most important thing before you apply to any College/University is filling up the application. As we know, unless an application is properly and completely filled it’s quite possible that it could be delayed or rejected. This could result in an unnecessary loss of time, energy and money, and could even act as deadly setback to your career.
It is essential to work out the process step by step, so you don’t miss out on important aspects. Few basics one needs to always keep in mind:
1) Am I applying to the right program? – This is a question every student should ask himself, before he sends his application to colleges abroad. Am I applying to the right program? As universities abroad have several programs. There will be multiple specialties, concentrations and majors to choose from. For example, under the broad field of ‘Computer Science’, one could choose ‘Artificial Intelligence’ or ‘Robotics’ etc. So is the case with several engineering specialties. If one is looking for an MBA program, the choice is literally huge, with typical specializations like ‘Non-profit’, ‘Industrial’, ‘Pharmaceutical Management’ Hospitality, Hospital and several other non-traditional choices. Hence, choosing the right specialization with a program is the first step in right direction.
2) Am I applying to the right university? – Looking for the right university abroad is more like searching for a needle in the haystack. There are many Universities, which offer a variety of courses. Each university in US and other countries has its own program, course, and curriculum because of adaptability in the education system. Same program at different Universities can differ greatly with reference curriculum, course material, etc. Hence, it is crucial to choose the right college before one decides to study abroad.
3) Am I applying at the right time? – Unlike in Pakistan, universities abroad provide admission each semester – roughly once in every four and half months and mostly twice a year. Their deadlines vary from one to another, and from one program to another, within the same university! Because of international applicants, deadlines are carefully determined. The ‘paper work’ involved with admission, SEVIS procedures and several other aspects take much longer than for a domestic applicant. While local students may apply as late as 60 days to one week before the start of a semester, all international students have to apply one year to 90 days before the start of semester. And if one is looking for financial aid, applications have to be filed much earlier.
4) Am I applying in the right way? – ‘Online’ or ‘Paper-based’ applications? This could be quite tricky if one is not comfortable and sure about the requirements of universities applying for. Some universities insist on only online applications, while some offer only paper-based ones. Some tempt you without any application fee if applying online and some give a discount for the same reason. Either way you apply, there will be several documents that have to be sent separately by post or courier – transcripts, recommendations, bank statements etc. Depending upon the time available to you, choose the right option to apply for. Online is cheaper and faster, but tedious. International Credit card is required for application fee payment. Whereas paper based applications are time-consuming, laborious and prone to mistakes and corrections – which makes them ugly!
5) Am I using the suitable parameters for selecting correct universities? – Some universities are quite large and some are quite small – just a two bed-room apartment set ups. Some have a lot of professors and others have very less number of students! Some have research as their paramount method of teaching. Whereas others focus on class-room based learning only. Similarly, there will be several other factors that have to be considered carefully for application. Depending upon your interests, aptitude, preferences and requirements, should you decide on a set of universities to finally apply for.
6) Do I have the required time and money? – Application process normally takes anywhere between six months to one year for Bachelors and Masters level and more than one year for Doctoral level. During this period, a lot of ground work has to be done in order to meet requirements, deadlines and processes. Casual approach without regard to time frame will affect the whole process negatively. Likewise, applying to universities cost a bundle. If you plan to apply for 3-4 universities alone, the costs may be approximately Rs 25,000 – 30,000 including application fee, courier and documentation costs. Even this financial aspect need to be considered carefully before initiating the process.
7) Finally, Is this the right direction? – Why do you want to study abroad in the first place? What would you like to do later? What are your career goals? How would you like to reach those goals? These and several other factors like budget, correct choice of country etc., play a crucial role in determining your reasons for taking this first step. Unless you are sure about your first step, you cannot be certain of the unfaltering approach till the last step. Think carefully and objectively. Consult your parents, mentors and people who are in the know of things and then make a firm decision. IAEC Consultants will be with you all the way, guiding you at every step, determining your priorities and providing you with the right direction. Career counselling is the core activity and focus for us, to help the students in all respects.
The application process involves following procedures:
Time to start application process
The best time to start the application filling up process is, at least two to three months before the 1st deadline of the universities. There are two ways for you to obtain the application forms (physical copies).
Getting application forms
You can either download the application form from the universities’ web sites or get the same by writing to them early, clearly indicting the semester you are seeking admission to. Most of the universities are requesting students to either download the applications or apply electronically.
Filling up application form
While filling up the application form, keep the following in mind:-
Make photocopies of the applications and use for initial filling up (if you have physical copies of the application form).
2. Writing your name
Normally, Pakistani students get confused about the “Name” part. What we call as “Surname” is called as “Family name” or “Last name” in other countries. Also,” the Middle Name” is confusing. That is a part of your name that was given along with your First name or the commonly called name.
For example: If one’s name is Adivi Srikanth Reddy, Adivi is the Last Name, Srikanth is the First Name and Reddy is the Middle Name.
3. US Academic naming system
The four-year undergraduate study in US is called with a name, year wise. The first year is the “freshman’, IInd is the ‘sophomore’, IIIrd is the ‘Junior’ and IVth is the ‘Senior’ year. While indicating percentages/grades or GPA, you need to be careful about what year information you are providing. Hence, it is essential to know which year is called with what name.
Documents to be submitted to the university/college you wish to apply to:-
1. Completed Application
Your transcripts from 10th class onward (duly attested by the respective Head of the Institution)
10th and Inter (12th) transcripts need not be in sealed envelopes. Whereas, your degree marks and provisional must be in sealed envelope, with seal and signature on the flap of the envelope too.
3. Statement of Purpose (SOP)
Ideally must be a one-page statement of your purpose in personal and academic life. SOP must contain information on your education objectives, career goals, reasons for study in the US and reasons for choosing a particular program in a particular institute.
4. Recommendation Letters
At least two-three recommendation letters from three lecturers/professors, who taught you at the degree level preferably from those who taught you the main subjects. These recommendations must be done on personal or college letterheads and must be signed and sealed (including the envelope).
Formats cannot be generalized for all the students and need to be personalized as per individual requirements. We will mail a customized format for you as and when you may need one.
5. Bank Statement
Financial Statement or Bank Statement indicates the availability of funds with you, (or your sponsor) in a bank, in a Savings Bank account only. These funds must be available for the purpose of your further education. A statement given by the Bank manager, on the Bank’s letterhead, clearly indicating the amount of funds available both in your native currency and also the currency of the country where you would like to study has to be given, with the seal of the bank and signature of the Manager.
To each and every university you apply to, you need to enclose an original Bank Statement showing adequate funds to cover at least a year’s tuition and living expenses. Instead of getting multiple originals, which may not be practically possible, you may get the first statement photocopied (before signatures are made by the banker) and then signed and sealed by the bank manager individually.
Some universities need the Financial Statement filled, in the application itself. If it is indicated as mandatory, you need to get that form appropriately filled by the Bank.
Ideally, one should indicate availability of funds for the entire duration of the course. For example, for a two-year Masters program, funds must be adequate to cover for both the years. If you cannot show funds for two years, then you must indicate availability for at least one year, covering tuition, living expenses and other fees. Hence, before taking a statement, calculate what would be the maximum expenditure from among the universities you wish to apply to. Take the higher amount and arrange for Bank Statement, accordingly. This will eliminate the need to take fresh statement every time you apply to universities with higher fee structure.
6. Affidavit of Support on Rs.20 Non Judicial Stamp Paper
An Original AOS (notarized) has to be sent to each university. Letter of Undertaking or Affidavit of Support (AOS) is an undertaking to be given by your sponsor who finances your education. This has to be given on Non-Judicial Stamp Paper, in a prescribed format.
Sometimes, the universities request the undertaking to be given on their applications itself, in which case you have to do so. This AOS has to be signed by the sponsor, properly witnessed and attested by Notary public. To each and every university you apply to, you need to enclose an original AOS. Instead of getting multiple stamp papers and doing the AOS, you may get the first statement photocopied (before signatures are made by the sponsor) and then signed by the sponsor and notarized individually.
7. Application fee
Application fee in US $ (or that country’s currency) as required by university.
8. Covering letter
A covering letter, indicating your plans about TOEFL and GRE/GMAT and informing them that you would arrange score reporting by ETS- If not taken and reported already.
Also, if there are any issues concerning your application, like backlogs, failures or gaps between various levels of your education etc., use the covering letter to provide an explanation about such issues. This will offset any problem that you may encounter when you do not explain.
Once all the documents are ready, you may courier them to the universities well before the suggested deadlines, since processing of applications is done on a rolling basis – i.e., first-come-first-serve. Applying early would improve your admission chances than applying nearer the deadlines.
Alight Education Services service encompasses the whole application process, so that you do not have to go through this trying procedure. We meticulously plan every step of the process and administer each activity with our experienced staff, so that everything goes smoothly and you have to just wait, to receive your admission; that’s all!
For discerning students, who wish to do the whole process by themselves, we have a separate package for ‘Advisory Service’, wherein our services are advisory in nature and all the work has to be done by the applicant himself, step-by-step. We select the right universities, we provide information about the application process, and we evaluate SOP, recos. and resume and we finally provide visa guidance.
Advantage with this service is the interactive approach a student would have with the universities and the process all throughout. This would enable him to know and learn at every stage, thus becoming conversant with the whole process by the time he reaches USA. Then, nothing would be a ‘shock’ or ‘surprise’ for him since he is in the know of things!
This is especially useful since students are expected to select their own courses, design the course schedule and program and determine their levels of study, every semester. With initial exposure to the issues related to the above, students become self-sufficient to handle any type of work successfully, that involves graduate study.
Selecting Right University
One of the vital steps that involve your future prospects is selection of a university. There are numerous universities across the globe, which offer admissions to students, but one needs to carefully inspect various aspects before finally deciding to apply. As the university is the place, where the student is going to invest his valuable time and energy to gain knowledge. Moreover, the more reputed the college is, the more would be the student facilities.
Few of the aspects students need to review before applying:
Cost of study at the University
Availability of financial assistance
Availability of interested field of specialization
Current employment chances
The prospects of further education
What sort of accreditation does the university have
Flexibility of transferring to other courses or programs within and outside the university Student to staff ratio
Faculty and infrastructure
The geography of the university<
Student’s knowledge and discretion play an essential role in choosing a university. In fact, if you look at the university websites almost all Universities have an attractive appearance. But in truth, they are a lot different. Some Universities have huge campuses spread across acres of land and some are too small to be actually called a University. But still, both Universities present an equal appeal on the web. And an unsuspecting student can easily be misled into joining a less reputed institute.
This is where our professional guidance comes to rescue. Our years of experience in the field taught us how to cull out relevant information from various sources and present you with the best possible options. We evaluate, test, reconfirm, so you don’t make a wrong move. A step in the wrong direction can be irreversibly expensive in this current fast-paced lifestyle.
At Alight Education Services we go through the pain so you don’t have to. We empower you with all relevant knowledge. Whether it’s about Universities, Academic Programs, Financial Aids, and Process…you could trust us to provide nothing but the best. Our Student advisors, managerial staff, research team and the top management are ever at call to help you touch new horizons in life.
The student must be able to show that he has been accepted on a course of study at:
A publicly FUNDED institution of further or higher education (e.g. a university)
A private-education institution
An INDEPENDENT fee paying school.
The student is going to pursue:
A recognized full-time degree course
A weekday full-time course involving at least 15 hours organized daytime study per week
A full-time course of study at an INDEPENDENT fee paying school.
The student who is planning to study abroad must also:
Be able to pay for his course and support an accommodation overseas for himself and any dependants without working or without help from public FUNDS
In order to SECURE a non-immigrant student visa, you have to establish the following facts:
Good Academic Record
Roots to Pakistan
Good FINANCIAL Standing
Compatibility of the University Chosen
Always use Parents as sponsors to study overseas as if you are using other rather than parents as sponsors give good reasons why they are sponsoring you.
Avoid bringing your relatives in the U.K. into the picture either as sponsor or the people who have motivated you to go to the United Kingdom for education.
Please do not talk about job and job opportunities around the City that you have chosen for your studies.
Your reasons for coming back to Pakistan after completing you studies as far as possible should not be sentimental or emotional reasons.
They should be related to good career opportunities substantial financial gains and better business opportunities after obtaining a U.K. qualification.
STUDENT VISA FEES
The current student visa fee that will allow a student multiple entry to the any country, may be found out from the nearest High Commission or Embassy or offices. The fee should be paid by Cash/demand draft/Telegraphic Transfer (depending on the country you are going to) and submitted with your application to the High Commission or Embassy. Visa fees are not refundable. So, for studying overseas in the countries like UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand,Canada, Malaysia, Germany, Cyprus, Holland and Turkey contact Glider International Education Consultants for immaculate visa counseling.
STUDENTS enrolled on a course for 12 months may be required to undergo a medical examination before leaving for desire country. This may vary depending on the country you are going to.
Schedule an Appointment
Applicants must make an appointment and attend in person to submit their visa application and biometric data at one of the visa application centres.
Applying Visa , Visit the visa application centre
You should remember to take all of the documents. Bio metric information cannot be taken for visa applicants under the age of 16 who are unaccompanied. A visa application can only be processed after your biometric information has been taken. If you refuse to submit your bio metric information, your visa application cannot be processed. Important note: You will not be able to submit further documents after you have submitted your application at the visa application. The documents you submit at the time you made your application are the only documents that can be considered.