Study visa is must for getting entry to china for study purpose. Visa is issued to only those who want to study in in china for a fix period of time. The time duration for the visa grantee to you depend on your desired degree and its time duration.

The student visa for china is divided into two major types, X1 and X2.X1 is issued to aliens who come to China for study, advanced studies, or fieldwork for more than 6 months. X2 is issued to aliens who come to China with same purpose but for a period of less than 6 months.

Applicant must have the complete information about the institute he is going to study in and applying on the behalf of. It is important that the organization must be accredited for offering courses or internships to foreigners.  They will send you a JW201 or JW202 form and an admission letter.  You have to submit these with photocopies with your application.

Applicants are not allowed to work on X type of Visa. If any student found to be working to support their education or else will be deemed unlawful employment and will probably have to stop or be expelled. 

X1 holders shall apply for a Temporary Residence Permit from the local Public Security Bureau (PSB) within 30 days upon entry into China. The temporary residence permit can be issued with validity of 180 days to 5 years.  X2 holders shall stay in China within the duration period as indicated on the visa, and it is not necessary for them to apply for the temporary residence permit.